Escape from the evil empire

imapc_imamac.jpgWho says you can’t teach an old dog new tricks?

After years — decades even — of resentful servitude to the Bill Gates colossus, after years of barely suppressed ridicule from my spouse who has been a Mac user from the beginning, I have at long last achieved escape velocity. Ladies and Gentlemen, this is a historic moment:

I am posting this from my brand spanking new, cool-as-all-get-out MacBook Air! Yes, the one that you can fit into an interoffice envelope. The one that stopped Charlie Rose (or somebody) dead in his tracks at airport security because the thing is so cool, the TSA guys didn’t believe it was a real computer (they eventually let him through, you’ll be relieved to know). I have become . . . the guy on the right. Or at least, I no longer have to worry, in my darker moments, that I have become the guy on the left.

I don’t mean to rub it in about the Air. I’m just excited to be starting a new life on the sunny side of the street.

The transition has, however, made me realize that the format of the website here is showing some signs of age, now that I can see the light in the new, wider format. The Natural Patriot’s crack engineering department will be on that soon, certainly within the next decade . . .

Bookmark and Share

About Emmett Duffy

I am a Natural Patriot and an ecologist with expertise in biodiversity and its importance to human society. My day job is Professor of Marine Science at the College of William and Mary in Virginia.
This entry was posted in Blogospheria. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Escape from the evil empire

1. i’m green with envy (being a long time mac geek)… though i will freely admit i’m still more like the guy on the left…

anyway, which nsf grant paved the way for the air? or did you shell out hard cold cash? either way, i’m jealous as i write this on my slow-as-shit, dead pixels, carrie bradshaw-esque, black mac lombard powerbook!

2. Emmett Duffy says:

My condolences on the antique Rick. At least you can say you were a Mac pioneer!

Let’s just say that the Commonwealth of Virginia has made what I consider to be a wise investment in the future of marine environmental science with this purchase.

3. kevin z says:

Congratulations on the purchase. I made the switch almost 2 years ago and converted my wife over last year. We have never been happier with our computers. Once you go mac you never go back!

Pretty soon you’ll be adorned with an iPod answering calls on your iPhone… Where did you stick the complementary apple stickers? I stuck one on our lab PC ;P

4. Sally says:

Despite long commitment to the PC world (I mean, like back to DOS days and even a hint of Unix, pre-GUI), I think even I’ve finally reached the point where I’ll never buy another PC. What with Vista (forced adoption) and all, and the increasingly Mac-like interfaces, might as well, I guess. Either that or pull out the ole XT clone and see what she’ll do! ;)

Congrats on the transition… keep us posted.

5. Emmett Duffy says:

Several long-time PC people like myself told me before I did this that they had finally taken the plunge, and that “I’ll never go back.”

Having been a Mac User (still in transition actually) for a week or so, I can say: “I’ll never go back!”

6. tripp says:

It’s funny, I must be one of the few “freaks” that didn’t have the same experience. I’m a primary PC user who has also used Macs for several years, and the one time (last year)I was forced to use a Mac as my primary for a significant period of time almost drove me crazy. I ended up personally buying a new PC to use at work just so I wouldn’t have to use the Mac any more. See, not everybody wants to be the smarmy, pretentious guy on the right.

7. Emmett Duffy says:

Tripp, my son, you need only have faith and you will soon see the light!

It probably involves making a commitment to the transition for it to work. Since the two systems involve basically different halves of the brain, it would be difficult to try to do it part-time. You gotta take the plunge!

(P.S. I am not actually interested in becoming the dude on the right.  He’s a little too slack.  Besides, he needs a shave.)

8. tripp says:

And Amy has mentioned that in the last couple of installments he has started to look a little greasy. I didn’t know that unshowered corresponds with cool.