Ladies and Gentlemen,
The summer solstice is now behind us, meaning — paradoxically — that summer is here, and yet, that the days have begun their gradual decline. But let’s not dwell on that now. For those of us in the middle of North America, we are approaching Independence Day. The day when we celebrate patriotism. Fly the flag, grill in the back yard, burn stuff that makes big explosions, that sort of thing.
So, here at the Natural Patriot, we will be celebrating Natural Patriotism. To do so (cue the drum roll please), we begin with a contest. I am asking for nominations from the field, from you, my teeming legions of faithful readers, for the first annual NATURAL PATRIOT OF THE YEAR. (Making the optimistic assumption that this blog survives another year, we can make it an annual event). The goal is to recognize an individual who has contributed substantively, preferably within the last year, to showing us how to live harmoniously and happily within our limited natural means. That contribution may be in the realm of business, creative arts, science, education, service, or elsewhere. The photo at right is of Aldo Leopold, one of the original natural patriots, and author of the seminal Sand County Almanac.
Your mission, should you choose to accept it, consists of providing the following parts of the nomination:
1) Name of nominee, with a short summary of why s/he represents a model of natural patriotism and what s/he has done to deserve recognition. The more compelling this summary, the greater the chance of winning the fabulous first prize (see below).
2) Digital photo of the nominee, if available, or a link to a website where such can be found. This is not required but would be helpful.
3) Nomination processing fee of $99.95 .
Just kidding about the third one. Please send your nomination(s) to me at jeduffy[at]vims[dot]edu. In the header line write NATURAL PATRIOT NOMINATION. Or you can enter your choice as a comment below. All nominations must be received by Midnight Greenwich Mean Time on Monday 2 July 2007.
1. The nominee need not be famous, so long as a compelling case can be made for her/his worthiness as a natural patriot. In fact, we prefer ordinary citizens who have done something creative or made a difference.
2. The nominee need not be an American. Any citizen of planet earth is eligible.
3. You may nominate as many individuals as you like, since this will create the favorable impression that more people read this blog than actually do.
The lucky winner will be announced on American Independence Day, July 4th 2007. In the event that I receive more than one nomination, all candidates will be listed in the announcement of the winner.
First prize: The individual who nominated the eventual winner will receive the fame, prestige, and good karma of having your name mentioned on the Natural Patriot blog! (or, if this gives you the urge to flee in the opposite direction, a promise of anonymity).
Vote early and often! Only five days left! Operators are standing by!